Twelve Reasons Why We Should Use Poetry to Teach History
1. There are poetry styles for every occasion.
2. Poetry in the history class supports Language Arts Standards, history standards, and Arts standards.
3. Poetry can be easily be used to support the many learning styles of the students (multiple intelligences.)
4. Poetry can be easily differentiated to fit the many levels of student abilities in the classroom
5. Poetry can be easily assessed by the teacher.
6. Poetry can be used to learn and review material.
7. Poetry can be combined with many of the arts.
8. Poetry can increase vocabulary.
9. Poetry can increase student motivation.
10. Poetry can be short and to the point.
11. Poetry can engaging.
12. Poetry can be fun!